Well, happy soggy Thursday..I hope this rain is good for the flowers and grass and crops and blah blah blah...Honestly, it makes me crabby, crabby and hungry..
Anyhow, as I was grumbling around the house this morning, I heard bits of a story on the Today show about hugging. Yes, hugging. Ok, hugging is great - it lowers blood pressure, it warms you up...Nope. Hugging is bad and in some schools, not allowed. Hmm. I know we live in a litigious society but c'mon! Is a hug inappropriate? Maybe at a job interview or perhaps a Coach store (unless of course you score a great bag for a bargain), but at school? Where is the line drawn? No hugging, no hand shaking, no smiling, no talking. It is the age of swine flu breakouts y'know. I know - lets put the kids in zip lock bags and send them on their way.
Hugging was a big part of high school for my friends and me. I can remember greeting my friends in the hallways with hugs. It was just the way it went, and it didn't mean they were romantic hugs (all girl school), or inappropriate, they were hugs to say hi, to celebrate a test well taken, or mourn the loss of a boyfriend (which was quite common)..
In this day and age where we are so tied to our computers and virtual communication, the mere fact that hugging still exists is amazing. To not allow it in school is just ridiculous. Fostering personal communication is so important, especially in one's formative years. I certainly hope this trend of not allowing hugs does not continue and hope that those crazy kids keep hugging away!
Hugs to y'all! below is the link to the NYT article that was being discussed on the Today show. What do you think?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/style/28hugs.html
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
No hugging allowed at Brian's school. This started in kindergarten, which is absolutely ridiculous. They say that they are trying to teach them to respect other people's space and are concerned about sexually inappropriate touch but give me a break.....little ones need to hug and be hugged!
Post a Comment