I was going to write today about the new alcohol restrictions at one an annual festival here, but another story in the news made more of an impression.
Earlier this week, a mom loaded her four children into the family mini van and drove off a boat launch into the Hudson River. One of the little ones escaped and the authorities were alerted, but unfortunately, the family had already died in the van submerged in eight feet of water.
This story is tragic on so many levels, it is almost impossible to digest. The knee jerk reaction I think is to blame the mother. How could she do this to her children and to herself? As a newish mom, I cannot fathom hurting my baby - but I have been fortunate enough to have support. S,my mom and girlfriends have been great helping with Baby C. We have alot of love to give to eachother and the baby, I feel secure knowing that if I needed help with anything, someone would be there. There is no abuse, physical or mental to wound me or my feeling of self worth. I know i am a great mom, I know I am providing for my baby the best I can. He is healthy and happy.
During those times when he is fussy or cranky, it is HARD. But with the help and support I have, I manage. It seems as tho the mom in this story didn't have the love or support she needed. She felt alone and could not manage. The only way out she saw was to die.
Having Baby C is the best thing I ever did - it is also the hardest.. I am thankful for the love and support I have, and my heart breaks for women who don't and are trying to raise children on their own. I am in no way excusing this mom for killing herself and her babies, but it sure made me appreciate even more what I have.
Hug your babies a bit tighter tonight and watch the night sky for the new little angels shining bright on us.
xo
Friday, April 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment