I have recently been suffering from a bout of insomnia. This is not the first time this sleep depriving oddity has occurred. Usually when I am stressed about something or facing a huge, life changing event, I can't sleep.
During the weeks before our wedding, I would lay awake, staring at the ceiling and wondering how everything was going to come together, timing, guests, will my dress fit? All of this while S slept soundly, snoring away. Again, before we moved out of our old house and into our new one, I would lay awake starting at the same ceiling, this time wondering how on earth can we afford this? And of course, S was far away in REM land, oblivious to my inability to fall asleep. He would, however, be made aware the next day, as a night without sleep or with little sleep causes me to be a grumpy, short tempered not nice person to be around..Anyhow, when these huge life changing events were completed, life and sleep would return to normal.
For the last month or so, I have had no problem falling asleep, it is staying asleep that is the problem. I would wake up about 2 hours after falling asleep and stay awake for hours..Why? There are no major life changing events going on right now, no big moves, no weddings, no births or deaths...So, why why why have I been having such a hard time sleeping? being a cranky dark circled eyed person is no fun..So I decided to take action.
I decided to try a sleep aid. Over the counter, safe, right? I don't need an addiction to sleeping pills, nor do I have any desire to end up like Lilly Bart (curse you Edith Wharton!)..So I purchased the PC brand of Advil PM. How much damage can this do? I was DESPERATE to sleep thru the night. The first few times I took it, it did not seem to do anything, I still was not sleeping thru the night. I was going to give up on it and go find a Shaman or hypnotist, I decided last night to try it one more time...
Well, I slept thru the night. Hold the applause, while I did sleep, it was anything but restful. My night journeys were convoluted, nonsensical and almost maniacal. The only other time I can remember dreams as surreal as those was while heavily medicated after surgery or while very sick. The night thankfully ended when S's blackberry alarm went off this morning causing me to yell "What the f*ck was that?!". Now, those of you who know me know I curse very infrequently, so imagine my surprise (and S's)at this loud exclamation first thing in the morning...I just hope L and D didn't hear me.
So here is the moral of my long rambling story. DO NOT take sleep aids..And if you do, consider yourself warned..I would take a sleepless night over a night of scary sleep any day. Anyone have any natural cures for insomnia?
Happy Sleeping y'all!
xo
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Does booze count as a natural cure?
funny you should ask - i have tried that, didnt work..:)
Post a Comment