I like to consider myself pretty fit, I am no athlete, but I hold my own. For as long as I have been working our regularly, my workout routines have consisted of various video tapes (dvds now), some weights, some just cardio, some circuit training..With my step and weights, my workouts were pretty challenging, but after a while became a bit predictable. I was looking for a change, something to shake it up a bit, yoga was great, but not quite what I was looking for..Then I discovered pilates, and I have never looked back..
Pilates is a method of exercise developed by Joseph Pilates while he was in an interment camp in Britain during WW1. After his release, he chose to come to America (New York City) and share his method. He opened a studio and soon, his workouts became popular with dancers, as a way to develop and further core strength..After his death in the 1960's, his wife carried on and since many have taken up the method and kept the exercise alive.
I went to my first private lesson in November of last year. The next day, I could not move, couldn't sit up, nothing. I had worked muscles I didn't know i had, and I thought - HOLY MOLY - what am I doing? But, I kept going and the pain did not stop, but became almost welcomed as I knew I was doing something good for my muscles and that I was not cheating during my workouts.
One of the things I love the most about pilates is the mind/body connection. You really have to concentrate on the movement, almost visualize the muscle you are trying to work, otherwise, it is easy to cheat, thus not getting any effect. I always walk out of my session feeling taller and stronger, as the focus is on proper posture and strengthening your core. My tummy is my no means flat, but I feel stronger in my gait and my posture has improved. My back pain is down to a dull roar and I feel as tho I have more control in my everyday movement. As a gymnast when I was a child, I learned the grace and control of movement and that is really at the heart of pilates.
So, I would recommend this workout to anyone and everyone. I go to the Pilates Principle on Route 9 and love the staff they are friendly and so helpful. I have been with the same instructor since I started and she is great! I feel as tho I have made major progress as I can now accomplish moves that when I started seemed impossible..The one that comes to mind is called the "Teaser"..yikes...check out the video...
Anyhow, try it out..I promise you will love this workout.
Happy Friday y'all! :)
Friday, August 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment