Monday, July 13, 2009

Michael Jackson and Loss



So, Michael Jackson died a few weeks back and unless you are living under a rock, you know it has been front and center in news, still. I read an interesting editorial about it in the TU over the weekend. The gist was, why are we so upset by the loss of celebrities? Why do people who have never met them cry over the loss? I don't know. When I heard the news of Michael jackson's passing, I thought "What a shame, he was so talented" and went on with my day. I didn't cry or sob or wail. It wasen't until I saw a few clips from his memorial that I felt something. Sadness and a sense of loss took over when I saw his family grief stricken at the loss of one of thier own. I shed a tear at the footage of his daughter breaking down while expressing her love for him. For the first time since I heard the news I felt really sad, sad for his family, for those he left behind.

These feelings of loss are not uncommon for me and I think that is why I am a bit sensitive to it. Many loved ones have left me for the trip to Heaven. And this particlular celebrity dealth made me think of my big sister, she left me many years ago, riddled with cancer and too weak to live. The connection is the album "Off the Wall". Yes, I said "album", she had this record on vinyl and we used to listen to it on the "High Fi" for hours and dance around like silly little girls, because we were. A loss like that changes you, life ceases to be what you once knew it to be and becomes something new and foreign and at times, not pleasent. Knowing that that is what his family is going thru makes me sad for them.

So I suppose the sadness I feel about the passing of Michael Jackson is for his family, because I know how hard it is to be left by a loved one, and not just one, my big brother took the train to Heaven too (tho I don't remember him dancing with us, he was too cool). I take a bit of comfort in the visual of my big sister and this giant celebrity dancing to "Off the Wall." Dance on big sister. xo

ps - the photo above is big sister, big brother and me, can you guess which one is me?

No comments: