
OK, Ok.....Shall we talk about the VP debate last night?
After going to Koto for sushi - yummy "Love Boat for 2" - complete with miso soup -perfect for a chilly night - S and I came home and settled in to watch the debate. Given my opinion of Sara Palin, I tryed to have a bit of an open mind. Well, it slammed shut pretty much right away by the first wink. Yes, wink. Governor Palin actually winked at the camera while she was answering a question. I thought my head might explode. Let me tell you why. As much as I am happy with the fact that a woman is on a ticket for President, I feel embarrassed. Embarrassed for the women out there who do NOT lean on their looks and their feminine charm to reach high places and become successful. I was disgusted (oh no, I might throw up my sashimi) by her eye rolls, winks and general actions that portrayed her as a vapid "broad". Now, I know she is intelligent, that is not my point. If you are indeed intelligent, SHOW IT. Don't rely on the fact that you have a uterus and long hair.
I understand that there is a population out there that she appeals to..The everyday folk? Possibly. The struggling middle class? Likely. BUT, who I see really taking a liking to her are those who see women as objects, as window dressing. "Just bat your eyes and you can have the world." We, as women have not been busting our as*es for many years to be taken seriously, just to have a lipstick wearing hockey mom wreck that. As I said, yes I am happy to see a woman on a Presidential ticket. BUT, what kind of message is Governor Palin sending to our young women? Just wink, say "aw shucks" and act ditsy and you will get really far.
Dawg Gawn it, I sure wish I didn't waste so much time in college, should have just worked on my winking.
PS - Parasailing anyone? The above picture was taken in Cancun - which is where I wished I was lastt night instead of watching the debate..

No comments:
Post a Comment