Saturday, November 15, 2008

Politics and Religion

Good morning - Happy Saturday...So I'm up drinking coffee - I checked my facebook page (more on that in another post), i did my NFL picks for the weekend games and then I clicked over to my favorite gossip website Perez Hilton and found this nugget...

South Carolina Catholic priest Jay Scott Newman has told his parishioners in a letter that if they voted 'Barack Hussein Obama' and don't ask for forgiveness for doing so before taking the Body and Blood of Christ, their souls will be at risk!
His reason?
Says the priest, "Our nation has chosen for its chief executive the most radical pro-abortion politician ever to serve in the United States Senate or to run for president. Voting for a pro-abortion politician when a plausible pro-life alternative exists constitutes material cooperation with intrinsic evil, and those Catholics who do so place themselves outside of the full communion of Christ's Church and under the judgment of divine law. Persons in this condition should not receive Holy Communion until and unless they are reconciled to God in the Sacrament of Penance, lest they eat and drink their own condemnation."


Hmmmmm.. Where to begin..Separation of Church and State? Nah...How about the difference between pro abortion and pro choice? I'm not sure anyone is pro abortion - why would anyone lobby for abortion? "Its a good thing - gotta keep those doctors in business" ...I think not..What I think the problem is, is labeling..Those who condemn abortion are clearly pro life..I understand that. What gets fuzzy for me is the idea that one can be pro life but still pro choice..How about leaving the decision up to the woman - while giving her all the information she needs about her options??..Maybe I have an unusual view of this issue. But I certainly could never get an abortion, but that is MY opinion, MY choice. I don't think it fair to impose my view on others..

I always thought that your civil rights end where mine begin. Have your own opinion, thoughts and views, but DO NOT force them on me. As far as the Church goes, I understand their teachings, I have been raised Catholic and continue to practice. However, I suppose I am what is called a "cafeteria catholic" meaning, I take what I like about the religion and leave the rest behind..Some say this is not right, it isn't good enough. BUT, faith and religion are a very personal thing. It is between you and God, ..And I think he is the only one who is allowed to judge you. And besides, Aren't we taught that no matter what, that GOD loves you?

Anyhow, just some food for thought on a dreary Saturday morning...

No comments: