Friday, January 14, 2011

Winter in Upstate New York

Happy Friday...Looking forward to the long weekend..

Ok, so it is winter here in Upstate NY and with that comes snow - lots of it. I am not a fan, I don't mind it if I am snug inside and don't have to attempt to drive or shovel or get near the snow.. I will complain to a certain extent, but I do know that snowstorms are expected here...

Along with snowstorms come a thing called a "Snow Emergency". This refers to special parking regulations on public roads. During and sometimes right after a storm, municipalities might declare a Snow Emergency. This means that for the first 24 hours, cars parked on public roads must be parked on the even side of the street, after the 24 hours have passed, one must move their vehicle to the other side - the odd side. For the most part, after the second 24 hours have passed, regular parking rules go back into effect. This is done for the purposes of snow removal - it is easier to plow when there are no cars in the way. Sounds simple, yes? HA!

Every winter I am amazed at the amount of people who ignore snow emergencies, park where they want and get their cars towed. These people get mad - really PO'ed. In my previous life, I lived in the downtown area in cute small apartments with street parking. I am proud to say that I have never had my car towed during a snow emergency. The trick is to be informed, which is simple. The tv news, the printed newspaper, online - these are all places one can find out if there is an emergency in place. Ok, if you don't own a tv, or have a computer, call the police, they will be happy to tell you. That was my system - when it would snow I would place a call and simply ask the question, sometimes yes, sometimes no - but I knew. paying to get my car from the scary impound lot was not something I wanted to spend my money on.

So I suppose my point is, it is SUPER easy to find out if there are special parking rules in effect. People who chose not to are, in my opinion, lazy and are just looking for something to complain about.

My snarky comment for the day..:)
xo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The first time it happened when we didn't live on campus we all learned a very expensive lesson...Now I have the text sent right to me and still call to see! It's so easy NOT to get caught in that that anyone who is is just asking for it.