Saturday, September 20, 2008

Oh Yes Its Ladies Night...



Last night I went out with 2 of my best girlfriends from high school. We went to see the movie "The Women" , had dinner at PF Chang (yummy ahi tuna with green tea soba noodles) then cocktails at the martini bar at the Mariott. We laughed and caught up, made fun of eachother, talked about the old days and our futures. I think we all needed some "girl time".

Now, don't get me wrong, I Love Love my husband and step sons, but every now and then, I need more estrogen around me. And the great thing about girlfriends from high school is that they have known you since you were 14, awkward, naive and basically clueless and through the years you grow up together, no judgements, just unconditional friendship and love.

I really enjoyed the movie, it was hilarious at times and moving at others. The underlying sentiment I found was that as women, we need to have our own identities, separate from wife, mother, daughter. What is it that WE want from, AND for ourselves? It is so important to follow your own self. I do believe that it is possible to be a wife, mother and daughter while still retaining your own person, your own separate being - with thoughts and feelings that you alone own. I have seen way too many women become absorbed into their partners, basically, becoming them...And when that relationship ends, they are left with nothing, no sense of self...It is a bit like renting as opposed to owning a home. When you rent, your dwelling is not your own, you invest nothing - whereas, when you own your home, it is yours( well and maybe the bank's too) - but you have an investment, you have possession of it.

So get out there with yourself, give yourself a hug, maybe even a high 5 and laugh - it is another perfect early fall day. :)

No comments: